Shutdown against Zakir Musa’s killing amid restrictions hits normal life in valley

Shutdown against Zakir Musa’s killing amid restrictions hits normal life in valley

Srinagar : A complete shutdown called by Hurriyat Conference (G) Chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani against the killing of militant commander Zakir Musa and a civilian hit normal life on Saturday.

Reports shops, fuel stations business establishments and educational institution remained shut for the second consecutive day as Hurriyat Conference (G) chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani called for shutdown against the killing of Musa and a civilian Zahoor Ahmad, a resident of Naira Pulwama who was killed by unidentified gunmen last Thursday.

Passenger transport was off the roads, but few private cars and auto-rickshaws were seen plying in civil lines areas of Srinagar city. Officials said strict restrictions on the movement of people were in force in parts of Srinagar, and Kulgam and Pulwama towns.

Divisional Commissioner Kashmir closed down educational institutions for second consecutive day in valley while mobile internet continued to be suspended for the last two days across the valley. Trains on the Baramulla-Banihal line remained off the tracks due to the situation.

Officials said “Curfew continued to remain imposed in parts of the Kashmir valley today (Saturday) as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order”, adding that “strict restrictions” were in place in Nowhatta, Rainawari, Khanyar, Safakadal and M R Gung police station areas, whilepartial restrictions” were in force in Maisuma and Kralkhud areas.”

Musa, the head of the Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind, was killed in a gunfight in Dadsara village of Tral in the south Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Friday after forces launched a search operation on late Thursday evening on specific information about the presence of militants in that area.

The officials said efforts were made to make Musa surrender, but he turned down the offer and lobbed grenades on the forces using a launcher, triggering a gunfight in which Musa was killed in the wee hours on last Friday. Musa’s killing led to spontaneous shutdown and protests in the valley. (KNS)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.