The World Health Organisation is sending a team to China next week to find out the source of COVID-19, WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a daily briefing on Monday.
“Knowing the source of the virus is very, very important. We can find the virus better when we know everything about the virus, including how it started,” Ghebreyesus said.
The WHO chief also said that all countries living with COVID-19 will be the new normal in the coming months, as the pandemic had already infected more than 10 million people worldwide, including more than 500,000 deaths.
“The critical question that all countries will face in the coming months is how to live with this virus. That is the new normal,” said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus at a daily press briefing on Monday, Xinhua news agency reported.
He added that although many countries have made some progress against the COVID-19, the pandemic is speeding up globally.
“Six months ago, none of us could have imagined how our world — and our lives — would be thrown into turmoil by this new virus,” the WHO chief said.
He warned the “worst is yet to come” – adding that “with this kind of environment and conditions, we fear the worst”.
(With agency inputs)